Sunday 27 March 2016

People first

The great thing about having had a time for proper reflection is that it allows you to open your eyes if you choose to. So while I've been going about my business, I've been trying to focused a bit more on the process level - trying to understand more about what's going on under the surface.

This week I was on a call to someone who's only recently joined my team and is thinking about leaving the firm. Long story short, the fit isn't right and her gut tells her it is never going to be, we discussed it at length and in the end agreed she should go for the job she's interested in, with my blessing. She commented that it's unusual to find a partner who takes this stance - thinks about the person and what they might need rather than thinking about the business and any disruptions such a move might cause. I realised that's always been my stance. I've always held the view that if you work with people to help them achieve their best, whether it be with whatever organisation currently in or elsewhere, they will in turn be loyal and engaged and do their best for me and the team. This is a really important principle for me and one I've always stuck by - People first.

I don't think this is my purpose as such, but from this I can see that I can make a difference. It is part of what differentiates me as a leader, it's part of what makes me authentic. I don't think this is necessarily my overriding purpose, but it's a part of who I am and I think within this is the nub of what I'm passionate about. It's a starter for 10 as I try and define my professional purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment